Passa ai contenuti principali

The World's Most Effective Diet - Health - Nutrition

Monday morning in town. Skies are bright, air is clear and as I stroll to work, I easily spy 40 000kJ. Office workers gobbling croissants, muffins and coffees. The deli at the corner does brisk business. Two giant cheeseburgers hover over me on a billboard. But none for me, thanks.

I haven't eaten since Saturday night. Thirty-six hours. I'm not hungry. A bit spaced out, maybe, but in a peaceful way. This is maybe my sixtieth weekly fast in a row. I do this, honestly, because I love food. It's my favorite comfort, my most exquisite treat. I've forgone clothes, electronics and a better car in order to budget more for beef ravioli, fresh mozzarella and my favorite Cabernet Sauvignon.

But a few years ago, something began to turn. Knowing the way food soothed me, I started slipping - a milkshake from the popular takeaway outlet near work, a convenient cashew chicken from the local Chinese place.

My eating became mechanical, joyless. This is an easy trap to fall into: from our hunter-gatherer ancestors, we retain a genetically encoded anxiety - however unconscious - that food can be scarce. So we're hard-wired to eat when we can, even though food is ubiquitous. It's also cheap and tasty. Primal fear plus abundant food equals an obesity epidemic. For me, my love of food evolved into an imperative to eat that cared little for the distinction between fast food and foie gras. Apostasy. I committed to a year of weekly fasting to see if I could restore the relish to my life.

There are, it turns out, many reasons to fast. I was only vaguely aware of the health benefits when I started, but studies suggest that regularly abstaining from food lowers your heart rate and blood pressure, staves off diabetes and protects your tissues from the ravages of free radicals.

Fasting poses a good kind of stress, much like exercise. Our cells respond by increasing their ability to cope with other, stronger stresses. In rodent studies, fasting also confers dramatic resistance to cancer, brain ageing, stroke and heart disease. Since I began this experiment, I've lost five kilograms (from 83 to 78) and shaved two points from my body-mass index (from 25.6 to 23.6). More important, I love food again.

Fasting does, in fact, improve your taste-bud sensitivity to sweet and salty flavors. And fasting forces me to make better choices when I do eat. On either side of a fasting day, I crave smaller, more vegetal meals. Come midweek, I want to celebrate. I go for dry-aged steak and stinky cheese with less guilt and more gusto. And more patience. In practice, an empty gut brings a sense of peace, as if I'm on holiday. This calm, along with the promise of health, has kept me fasting beyond the year I initially committed to.

In the last hour of my fast this Monday morning, I fed my dogs, then myself. Nothing tastes better than a sip of orange juice poured into that calm. And strawberries. Yum. Three of them and I'm full.

Nearly a week later, I'm ready again. Eager for it, really: my gustatory reset button. I typically fast from Saturday night until breakfast on Monday, drinking only water, only when I'm thirsty, and beginning and ending the fast with light meals. Tonight it's kale, rice, chicken and melon - a high-fibre selection. Last meals can lead to constipation if they don't contain enough fibre to push through your system. I read this in a book and confirmed its veracity by ignoring it.

That book, called Celebration of Discipline, by Richard Foster, is a guide to spiritual Christian practices. Tonight, I read the fasting chapter again. Foster's tone works for me. There's no histrionics - going without food is no big deal. This was critical for my first few fasts. When my inner food-child threw a tantrum, I responded with nonchalance, and it worked.

I didn't look beyond Foster for months, and I'm glad. Most fasting information out there is nonsense. Charlatans promote it as part of their weight-loss scams. Most doctors are equally as ignorant. When I asked one about it, he mumbled something about electrolytes and cardiac arrhythmias before surrendering: 'They don't teach fasting in medical school.'

They ought to, if only out of respect for the billions of people who fast for religious reasons, from Yom Kippur to various Christian and Hindu holidays to Ramadan. And there is strong, if scattered, scientific literature that includes empirical evidence from doctors with fasting experience; a smattering of more-controlled experiments in humans; overwhelming evidence from animal experiments; and a sort of amicus brief from a better-studied field called calorie restriction. In calorie restriction, participants eat only 60 percent to 70 percent of their weight-maintenance intake. This consistently decreases the biological rate of ageing and increases lifespan.

One empiricist is Dr Joel Fuhrman, a family doctor and author of Fasting and Eating for Health. He has put thousands of patients on multiday fasts and followed their vital signs and blood work closely. For a healthy person, medical supervision is not needed for a five-day fast. He's never seen electrolyte depletion or potassium loss, which can cause cardiac arrhythmias, prior to the tenth day of a fast.

Fuhrman instructs patients with inflammatory problems like lupus and arthritis to consider episodic fasting. I have Crohn's, an inflammatory bowel disease. I've had far fewer flare-ups in the past 14 months. Rodent studies show this anti-inflammatory benefit, as does at least one human study. Dr James Johnson, author of The Alternate-Day Diet, put nine overweight asthma patients on a near-fasting regime every other day for eight weeks. On average, those patients lost eight percent of their weight, lowered their cholesterol by 20 points and improved their airflow by 15 percent due to less airway inflammation. There's nothing out there that would work as well as that, other than systemic steroids.

Other studies piece together what happens to hunger strikers and starvation victims. The bottom line: our bodies are built to go long stretches without food. When you eat, your liver and muscles store up energy in the form of glycogen. When you fast, your body feeds off that glycogen for several days and then starts burning your fat stores. Once those are depleted, starvation starts: the body breaks down muscle first and then organs, which leads to death after eight to 10 weeks. This timeline assumes access to water. Dehydration can kill in days.

For me, fasting is vaguely spiritual, a time for reflection. I close my eyes and munch on my last bit of melon. I picture a hunter-gatherer ancestor. He hasn't killed game in days, but that's okay. He has bodily wisdom to last many weeks. That's an awesome capability. My 36 hours is a mere gesture.

Any other day I develop a headache if I skip coffee, but not on fasting days. I have no idea why. I often play squash with my friend, and I exhibit fierce energy on the court. My body feels springy on fasting mornings, and my mind is as clear as water. I occasionally choose different days to fast, to work it comfortably around dinner parties, travel and whatnot, and by now I've done it on every day of the week. I've gone to work, driven long distances, taken hikes, had sex and lifted weights while fasting. Admittedly, I'm flying in the face of alternative medicine, which considers fasting a detoxifying process best done by easing into it. Don't send so much blood to your muscles, the theory goes - send it all to your liver. Without digestion of food to deal with, the liver can scrub the blood, ridding it of pesticides, food additives and other toxins. These exit through your pores, sinuses, colon and urine. Some people apparently suffer from acne, rashes and headaches whil e fasting. I don't. But my tongue coats over with a white film, and my breath stinks. These are classic signs of detoxification.

Fasting increases production of several molecules, including brain-derived neurotrophic factor, which protect the neurons from all sorts of disease down the line. Fasting rats show better memory, cognition, motor function and neurogenesis (production of new nerve cells from stem cells). He's shown that fasting mice bounce back from heart attacks and strokes better than everyday eaters.

If just a fraction of the fasting benefits seen in rodents were conferred by a pill, drug companies would be racing to prove them in humans. The human studies so far have involved too few participants to yield sweeping claims. Having said that, in the studies that have been done, there are no documented downsides to fasting. None. But that doesn't mean they're not there. One problem that crops up in the similar world of calorie restriction: fertility takes a dive. I know my sperm is okay. A Crohn's medication had tanked my sperm count, but I've been off the drug for three months - fasting weekly the whole time - and recent testing shows my swimmers are once again rigorous and plentiful.

I admit it: on Sunday afternoon, I usually get hungry. The primitive drive to eat is strong. I've cut a few fasts down to 24 hours. Twice I gave up fasting for good, but within 10 days I noticed my food sense regressing. I started eating crap again, and my body started creeping back up to its prefasting weight. I returned to the practice. I'm hooked, it seems, despite myself.

None of this helps when I'm hungry on a fasting day. I don't know if, like the rats, I'm getting any smarter over time, but I do know that when I'm in the thick of a 36-hour fast, intellectual activity is best avoided. Rearranging the furniture is great. The best afternoon pastime, honestly, is to nap. Naps on fasting days are glorious. I instantly go deep and drool on my pillow, and I wake up in the best part of my fast, my peaceful zone.

By five in the afternoon, my hunger is gone and I am infused in this calm that I can't describe, except to say that when I'm in it, I'd rather not talk to you. For once in my week, I don't give a crap about email or my to-do list. Time dilates in my perception. It also frees up for real, regifting me the two hours I'd normally spend preparing and eating food. I also like grocery shopping on fasting days.

It's a happy preview of what I will eat in the days ahead. What I will savor with the gusto and guiltlessness of a man who's earned it: fresh asparagus with organic blue cheese, roasted leek and Rosa tomata tart, lamb tagine with medjool dates, home-made chocolate-cake with cracked hazelnuts...

It's enough to make me not want to eat. Not yet.





iAutoblog the premier autoblogger software

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

A difference between Takeaway and Restaurant - Food - Restaurant Reviews

A Restaurant and Takeaway, both are same but it has some difference in service and cuisine. A Takeaway means prepared food that is intended to be eaten off of the premises. The Restaurant is an establishment which prepares and serves food and drink to customers in return for money. Takeaway food is often fast food, but not always so. Whereas fast food carries the connotation of a standardized product from a globalized chain or franchise, take-away outlets are often small businesses serving traditional food, which is sometimes but by no means always of high quality. In some cases, there are facilities for customers to order food by telephone, fax, or over the Internet, to be collected or delivered. This trend is thought to be on the rise as many small businesses take to the Web to promote their take-outs. Food that is delivered by a restaurant to a customer is also sometimes called take-out. Certain types of food that are normally served in sit-down restaurants are commonly available

Fast Food Takeaway in Stoke on Trent Review - Food - Restaurant Reviews

Welcome to Zeeshan Fast FoodTakeAway in Stoke on Trent. We prepare our take aways freshly every day at our premises in Smallthorne Stoke on Trent. You can order take away on the phone or by ordering online. You can try our online website which contains all our takeaway menu. We offer deliverys to all surrounding areas within a 3 miles radius in Stoke-on-Trent. We are situated in Smallthorne, Stoke-on-Trent and offer all our customers fast food delivery. You can now order your favourite burger, curry, pizza online and get fast free home delivery. Here at Zeeshan Fast Food TakeAway in Stoke on Trent we are constantly improving our service and quality to give our customers a better experience that's why we are now proud to offer this fantastic online ordering website. You can even pay online and get your favourite pizza, curry etc delivered to your home in Stoke-on-Trent. Zeeshan Fast Food TakeAway in Stoke on Trent are the best fast food take aways in Stoke-on-Trent offe

Losing Weight with Healthy Food: You Are What You Eat! - Health

Have you ever heard somebody say, "you are what you eat?" It could be that you simply thought people used this phrase to encourage healthy eating but, really, you are what you eat. When you enjoy a tuna sandwich, your body breaks down the amino acids from the tuna and uses it to grow new cells and build muscle. You can also discover on the outside of your body, if you're munching on too much junk food you may get acne and look heavier, but if you're eating healthy foods, you'll appear thinner and healthier. Thus, diet is the first place to begin when you want to lose weight. When your diet is unhealthy, doing a lot of exercise will not benefit you. You should see to it your diet consists of meals that are nourishing! So now we'll examine what you should be including in your healthy diet to help lose weight. The aim is to reduce the calories so that you get rid of some pounds, but without starvation or causing yourself to splurge on junk food. You must slowly